Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Beautiful Singapore


Can you see our Merlion?

Before I start with this article, I’d like to first apologize for not releasing new stories as quickly I should be lately. The school term has just started again and I’ve been taking some time to get used to it. Please bear with me, dear reader! I promise to give my very best to always release new articles as soon as I am able to J

Well, on to business:

So, in my previous article I basically discussed reasons why some of our youths may feel the need to leave Singapore. Well, in typically predictable fashion, I’d like to take this time now to talk to you more about why we should all really consider staying in Singapore.

Okay, so maybe I won’t start off with actually staying here in Singapore. However, there are always a couple of reasons why Singapore would make a great place to visit.

Firstly, the food! Sometimes, it can feel like Singapore is simply the food capital of the world. Besides some of our famous local dishes (chili crab, anyone?), it is also possible to get a taste of practically every other cuisine under the sun. We have food that can fit any palette of tastes, but for a really authentic taste of our local fare, there’s just no better place to try something mind-blowing than at one of our local hawker centers. A large variety of different food stalls offering incredibly affordable prices – what more could we ask for?

Our Chili Crab- One of my favorite dishes!

Secondly, one thing that’s especially unique about Singapore would be our climate. It’s not that big a deal to have only one season – there are a variety of other places that share such a trait. However, Singapore is just a place where nearly everyday is expected to be hot, hot, hot! Maybe the novelty of such weather may wear off after a while, but there’s no denying that a change from what we’re used to is always fascinating (just like how we locals so enjoy the cooler climate in places like Australia – or is that just me?). Whatever it is, the Singapore weather can almost always be counted on to provide anybody with a nice, strong tan.
Lastly, there’s just no denying that more and more wonderful tourists attractions have been constructed of late. We have the Singapore Flyer for one, the Gardens by the Bay – we even have Universal Studios Theme Park on our very own Sentosa Island! If that’s not enough, we can always offer up our famous shopping district, Orchard Road, or our unique Esplanade Theatres – need I go on?

Our Esplanade - Some locals think that it looks like a durian
Well, now that I’ve covered some good reasons why tourists can expect a good (or, at least, interesting) time here in Singapore, I’d like to go on to talk more about why we locals should appreciate our privilege of citizenship here in Singapore.

Firstly, I’d like to talk about our education system here. Yes, it’s strict, but that makes it all the more efficient and sought after. Our degrees and diplomas are mostly internationally recognized, and great pains have been taken to ensure that our students here have some of the strongest foundations. Furthermore, it’s also compulsory here for students to taken on a mothertongue language. This allows us to connect better with our own culture, and helps us to communicate and get along with other cultures as well.

Racial Harmony Day in Schools
That brings me on to my second point, which is the fact that Singapore is one of the World’s most racially harmonious countries. With such a diverse group of people living together on one island, there is a sense of uniqueness and creativity that just couldn’t be found somewhere else. We even have a special day set aside to honor our racial bonds with each other – Racial Harmony day!

Thirdly, one thing that I’m proud of is the high level of security we have living in Singapore. People are more or less comfortable with walking the streets at night, and our shops are usually open till late to accommodate such night crowds. Yes, it can’t be said that we are totally void of any crimes or danger, but we do have a law that prohibits any use of weapons or dangerous items throughout the island.

Fourthly, we’d have to consider the economy here in Singapore. Singapore may be small, but economically-wise, it’s one of the best countries in the world. For example, BBC once released an article with the title “Singapore ‘best country in which to run a business’” (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11671839), and a survey showcased on Yahoo reveals that Singapore is the best country for wealthy expats, and is “fast becoming an all-round expat destination for career progression, financial rewards and quality of life." (http://sg.news.yahoo.com/singapore-best-country-wealthy-expats-says-survey-104616713--sector.html)

Lastly, I’d like to discuss the validity of some of our stricter laws here in Singapore. Yes, some laws like littering fines or a ban on the handling of gum may sound silly at first, but there’s no denying just how clean Singapore is as a whole. I say: if these laws have contributed to maintaining the pristine condition this country is in, then these laws have been established for a pretty good reason. Of course, this isn’t always a case, but maybe lightening up on our many laws is just the way to go.

 Okay, so that concludes this particular article about our beautiful island- Singapore! I hope that I haven’t offended you, and I look forward to any ideas you might want to share! Simply email me at OrdinarySGKid@hotmail.com or follow me at @NatKathXo to send me your own opinions. I look forward to anything that you have to say!

Thank you for your time! J


Credits: Articles - BBC, Yahoo. Pictures- First: photographyside.com Second: streetdirectory.com Third: infocommclub.vs.moe.edu.sg Fourth: janicelim96.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment