Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Could STOMP be Overrated?


I’m a STOMPER myself and I do find it rather interesting to scroll through the app on my phone and read more about the things happening on this island. But there are certain aspects of STOMP Singapore that has really put me off. Here's some:

Firstly, certain STOMPers seem to find it necessary (amusing perhaps?) or even self-satisfying to post articles about ridiculous issues like people drinking on public transport or maybe taking up the reserved seat in the MRT. Yes, of course I agree that doing things like these is wrong and is definitely uncalled for. But what really annoys me is how such articles portrays us as a country. There are bigger issues happening everywhere, lots of more important things that can be STOMPed. Don’t you feel that posting such useless articles would make the STOMPer appear small or even petty? Would learning about this particular student taking up a reserved seat in the train last Tuesday really be beneficial for anybody? Or maybe the STOMPer’s intention was to get that particular person into trouble. Really, is there no other way to settle his/her disputes? Would doing something as childish and meaningless as this really help to appease any negative feelings towards the person? I personally doubt that.

Secondly, people often complain that Singapore STOMP has a lot more articles about other countries than it should have. Again, I’m not saying that having these articles are correct. But look at what some locals are choosing to post! Like I’ve said before – if some of us only choose to post ridiculously meaningless articles, wouldn’t that just give us all a negative image? Of course, this is still Singapore STOMP and you might argue that we should feel free to post whatever we want because it’s Singapore STOMP - but that’s just not how it works. Like it or not, people from other places are still able to access these articles and they are bound to form opinions about us. Maybe it seems like a small matter at first, but word of mouth does travel fast. Why risk bruising our image? If all certain STOMPers can do is post such childish articles, then maybe we’d be better off showcasing big news from other countries after all.



I’m not saying that we should refrain from posting anything at all. But if you are or you know one of those STOMPers that like to post such meaningless and degrading articles, maybe it’s right to urge them to reflect on their actions and maybe make better ones in the future. These STOMPers might find posting such things amusing or satisfying, but try to look at the bigger picture. They might not only be embarrassing their victims and themselves, they could also be embarrassing us all as a whole.

Well, thank you for your time! I mean no disrespect; I am only speaking my mind about something that has been bothering me lately.

Please don't hesitate to send in any of your own thoughts or feedback to Ordinarysgkid@hotmail.com or to follow me on twitter at @NatKathXo Comments on the article itself is welcomed too! Please share the article if you happen to find it interesting! :)


Credit: Google images. First: wirawanweb.com. Second: wan.kindness.sg. Third: lenography.

1 comment:

  1. Great opinions! I'm also a STOMPer and wonder about the seemingly more trivial articles. There are other good ones that catch my eye for sure though.

    ReplyDelete